This delightful sandwich serves four people with two open-faced sandwiches per person. Note: Since the amount of fruit vinegar used is modest, this dish belongs to the carbohydrate food group.
Time: about 20 minutes
8 slices whole-grain or multi-grain toast
4 soft avocados
4 cups of fresh baby spinach
2 garlic cloves
2 cups alfalfa sprouts
4 TBSP pine nuts
freshly ground pepper
1 TBSP fruit vinegar
1 TSP Dijon mustard
- In a not stick pan, roast pine nuts until golden brown. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine fruit vinegar and mustard. Stir well and set aside.
- Slice tomatoes.
- Toast bread and place two slices on each plate.
- Peel garlic cloves, cut in halves and rub each toast with the cut surfaces of the garlic.
- Slice open the avocados, remove pits. Scoop out and mash avocados onto toasts, 1/2 avocado per slice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Now layer each sandwich as follows: spinach leaves, 1/2 tomato, alfalfa sprouts.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon vinegar mustard on top of each toast.
- Garnish with pine nuts.