Time: about 45 minutes
1 1/2 lb vacuum-packed or canned cooked and peeled chestnuts
1 medium onion
5 oz celery root
4 cups vegetable broth
3 oz heavy cream
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, cook 6 of the chestnuts until crisp and browned, stirring often. Remove from pan, allow to cool, then finely chop and set aside.
2. In a pot heat 2 cups broth and add remaining chestnuts.
3. Peel and chop onion. Add to broth, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes
4. Puree soup and add remaining broth.
5. Peel and finely dice celery root and carrot. Add to soup, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
6. Stir in cream and season to taste with salt, pepper and ground nutmeg.
7. Garnish with roasted chopped chestnuts.