Time: about 60 minutes
2 large stalks of leeks, thinly sliced (1/8”)
2 pounds Russel or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
1 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
Some olive oil to grease the casserole dish
1. Whisk water, nutmeg, freshly ground black pepper and some salt into the heavy cream.
In a large pan over medium heat, sauté leeks with olive oil for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
3. Grease a casserole dish with olive oil.
4. Place a layer of potatoes in an overlapping pattern into bottom of prepared casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper. Pour a little of the cream over the potatoes and top with some grated Gryere cheese.
5. Add two more layers.
6. Distribute sautéed leek evenly on top layer. Add the remaining cream and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
7. Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Replace leeks by Brussels sprouts (cut in half and sautéed)