This light potato and mixed vegetable casserole is flavorful and hearty. The prosciutto is optional – this is also a tasty vegetarian dish. Serve this dish together with sliced tomatoes or a tossed salad.
Time: about 70 minutes
18 oz red potatoes
9 oz mushrooms
15 1/4 oz (1 can) corn
2 mild medium sized onions
1 clove of garlic
1 TBSP olive oil (grease the casserole)
1 2/3 cups sour cream
1/2 cup milk (made out of 1/4 cup water + 1/4 cup cream)
7 oz diced prosciutto
7 oz ground cheese (containing more than 50% fat in dry matter)
1. Peel, wash and cook potatoes until not quite done. Let cool and cut in slices about 1/4” thick.
2. Clean and chop mushrooms, peel and cut onions into rings.
3. Peel garlic clove, cut in halves and rub the bottom and the rim of the casserole with the cut surfaces of the garlic.
4. Add olive oil and grease casserole bottom and rim.
5. Cover casserole bottom with potato slices.
6. Top potatoes evenly with mushrooms, onion rings, corn and prosciutto.
7. In a bowl, combine sour cream, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir well and season to taste.
8. Pour sour cream over casserole. Cover with ground cheese and bake in preheated oven at 360° F for about 40 min. until golden brown.
Replace mushrooms and corn by zucchini and bell peppers.