This is a great make-ahead dinner. It is easy to prepare and delicious today as it is tomorrow. For variety, replace the cheese indicated and chose one of the neutral cheeses from all over the world.
Time: about 45 minutes
2 lbs potatoes, boiled firm to bite, ¼ inch sliced
3 fennel bulbs, stalks cut off and discarded, cleaned (reserve fronds for garnish if desired)
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
7 fl oz heavy cream
7 oz Raclette cheese, grated
1 tablespoon olive oil
nutmeg, freshly grated
- Cut fennel bulbs in half.
- On the stovetop, steam fennel bulbs for about 10 minutes until still firm to bite.
- Allow to cool and then cut fennel in ¼ inch slices.
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F.
- Grease baking dish with olive oil.
- Transfer potatoes to baking dish.
- Layer fennel slices on top.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cream, mustard and egg yolks. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour egg cream mixture on fennel and top with the cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes.