This soup makes a hearty and satisfying meal on its own but it can also be combined with French bread or croutons.
Time: about 35 minutes
1 lb cubed (1/2-inch) peeled potato
½ leek, chopped (only the white part of the leek)
3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 cup water
¼ cup heavy cream
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp grated fresh Parmesan cheese or 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. In a large pot, combine vegetable broth, leek and potatoes.
2. Cover and simmer 25 minutes until the potatoes are tender; stir occasionally.
3. Purée soup with a hand-held blender. Or, whirl in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth.
4. Add black pepper, salt and water, and bring shortly to boil.
5. Add heavy cream and if necessary season to taste with salt.
6. To serve, transfer the potato soup into bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese or chopped parsley.