A quick and warming soup that makes a light meal but also makes a gentle start to a heavier meal.
Time: about 20 minutes
3 cups broccoli, chopped
2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 cup water
¼ cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
4 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. In a large pot, combine vegetable broth, water, and broccoli.
2. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes until the broccoli is tender to bite.
3. Purée soup with a hand-held blender. Or, whirl in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth.
4. Stir in heavy cream and pepper. Season to taste with salt.
5. To serve, transfer the broccoli soup into bowls and garnish with Parmesan cheese.