Mashed cauliflower is a great substitute for mashed potatoes. It looks like mashed potatoes, its texture is similar to mashed potatoes and it tastes similarly to mashed potatoes. It makes a tasteful side dish for meat, fish or other protein foods.
It also makes a great base for any of your favorite flavorings and herbs such as chives, roasted onions, garlic, and even a cheese that belongs to the neutral food group.
Time: about 15 minutes
1 Cauliflower, raw, large head, washed and broken up into florets
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons sour cream or Greek yoghurt
1. In a medium sized pot bring 1 cup of water to a simmer. Add the cauliflower florets, cover, and cook for 8-10 minutes or until fork tender.
2. Drain and discard all of the water.
3. Mash with a masher until it looks like mashed potatoes. Alternatively transfer the cauliflower to the bowl of a large food processor and process to your desired texture.
4. Mix in the butter and sour cream.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Variation: A puree prepared from half cauliflower and half parsnips will be creamier.