Time: about 70 minutes
3 oz unsalted butter
1 lb yellow onions
1 quart vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
freshly ground pepper
1. Peel and finely slice onions.
2. Melt butter in large skillet on medium heat. Add onions and cook at medium low heat for about 20 min.
3. Add a pinch of salt, shortly bring to broil.
4. Add vegetable broth and bay leaf. Season with pepper. Stir, cover and simmer for about 40 min.
5. Remove bay leaf before serving, season to taste with salt and pepper.
Preheat broiler. Ladle hot soup evenly into 4 oven-proof bowls. Top each bowl of soup with a slice of toast. Sprinkle evenly with shredded cheese (>50% FDM). Broil 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Be aware that due to the combination with bread, this dish belongs to the carbohydrate food group.