Belonging to the protein food group, this popular Southern Italian dish makes an utterly satisfying dinner. Serve it with zucchini spaghetti, our favorite non-carb pasta substitute. Try it and you will be surprised!
Time: about 45 minutes (including baking time)
4 boneless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
1/2 cup almond milk
3/4 cup almond flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
9 slices mozzarella cheese
1 can (28 oz) organic crushed tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup ground Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon oregano
1 baking dish
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the egg and the almond milk.
- In a separate shallow bowl, mix together ¼ cup Parmesan cheese and the almond flour.
- Salt and pepper the chicken breasts well.
- Dip both sides of the chicken breasts in almond milk and egg mixture and then in the Parmesan and almond flour mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the chicken breasts on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Set chicken in a baking dish and put two slices of Mozzarella cheese on each chicken breast.
- Stir minced garlic and oregano into crushed tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour crushed tomatoes herb mixture evenly over all chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and the left over Mozzarella cheese.
- In a preheated oven, bake at 350° F for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Serve with zucchini spaghetti and/or a nice green salad.
Add 2 tablespoons of thinly sliced fresh basil leaves to the tomato herb mixture.