Roasted turnips are the perfect complement to this quick and easy Chicken Piccata. Serve with a mixed green salad if you like.
Time: about 20 minutes (baking time not included)
4 boneless chicken breast halves, skinless, pound to ½ inch thickness
1 ¼ lbs turnips, cut into bite-size pieces
black pepper, freshly ground
5 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 white onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons capers
3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Put turnips onto a baking pan.
- Drizzle with 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil and toss the turnips until coated with the oil. Sprinkle with black pepper and salt.
- Roast turnips for about 35 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- About 10 minutes before the turnips are tender, sprinkle both sides of chicken breast evenly with salt and pepper.
- In a large non-stick skillet heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to pan and sauté 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in pan. Add onions and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 minute while stirring.
- Stir in white wine and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by about 1/2. Remove from heat and stir in capers.
- Distribute chicken and some baked turnips on 4 plates. Top each chicken breast with about 2 tablespoons sauce and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of parsley.