Yields: 12 muffins
Time: about 25 minutes (including baking time)
12 small broccoli florets, blanched
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup Gruyère de Comté, grated
3 slices of bacon, chopped
¼ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
salt and pepper to taste
one 12-cup non-stick or silicone muffin pan
about ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Lightly grease your muffin pan with olive oil.
- Place one broccoli floret in each muffin cups so that the floret covers the bottom of the cup. If it is bigger break it.
- In a small non-stick skillet over medium high heat cook the chopped bacon for about 3 minutes.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Top the broccoli in muffin cup with about 1 teaspoon of bacon onion mix.
- In a bowl slightly beat the eggs, nutmeg, salt and pepper until blended.
- Stir in grated cheese.
- Ladle egg cheese mixture into each muffin cup until 2/3 full.
- In preheated oven bake for 10-20 minutes until golden brown or a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes and remove muffins out of the muffin pan onto a rack so that they won’t get soggy; if needed gently loosen the edges from the pan with a butter knife.
Replace Gruyère de Comté with Feta cheese crumbles.
Replace broccoli with spinach leaves, cauliflower, small Brussel sprouts, or other vegetables.
Replace bacon with turkey bacon.