Time: about 45 minutes
1 beef fillet roast (2.5 lbs), trimmed
1 lb (1 jar) pickled red cabbage
(For simplicity, we used canned pickled red cabbage. If you prefer fresh red cabbage, prepare it with the same ingredients we use for the canned one but add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
Tipp: Prepare the red cabbage one day in advance so that its flavor can fully develop.)
2 medium sized yellow onions
1 large tart apple
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 bay leaf
3 juniper berries
6 black peppercorns
1 lb parsnips
1 cup heavy cream
1. Wash and pat fillet dry. Rub with ground pepper.
2. Wash, peel and dice parsnips.
3. Peel and finely chop onions. Peel, core and finely chop the tart apple.
4. Preheat oven to 360° F.
5. In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil at high temperature and sear fillet on all sides.
6. In a roasting pan, roast fillet in preheated oven at 360° F for about 25 min. If you use a meat thermometer: Roast until thermometer registers at the center 140° F for rare; 160° F for medium or 170° F for well done.
7. In a medium sized pot, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and sauté onions. Add chopped apple, red cabbage, bay leaf, cloves, juniper berries and peppercorns. Stir well and let simmer for about 20 min.
8. In a different pot, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and sauté diced parsnips for about 5 min.
9. Add heavy cream, season with salt, ground pepper and nutmeg. Cover and let simmer for about 10 – 15 min.
10. Mash parsnips and season to taste with salt and pepper.
11. Remove fillet from the oven. Cover the roast tightly with foil. Let it rest in a warm place for 5 min.
12. Slice roast into 1/2 inch slices and serve with red cabbage and mashed parsnips.