This delicious ragout is simple to prepare, no matter whether you cook it for your family or for a larger group of guests. Enjoy promptly or prepare it a day ahead, which allows the flavors to blend well.
Time: about 180 minutes (40 minutes prep time)
1.5 lb boneless lamb, cubed
14 oz tomatoes, puréed
5 oz plain yoghurt
juice of 1 fresh lime
1 cup water
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 thumb of fresh ginger, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 red chili pepper, seeded, quartered
3 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp fennel seeds
2 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tbsp caraway
1 pinch cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender, combine 1 tbsp of olive oil, ginger, garlic, onions, chili pepper, 2 tbsp cilantro, fennel seeds, caraway, clove, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- In large Dutch oven heat 1 tbsp olive oil and butter and brown lamb over high heat. Then, add spice mixture and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and stir in water.
- Reduce heat, and simmer covered for 1 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir in lime juice, yoghurt, mint, and 1 tbsp cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.