Apples and hokkaido squash might not be the first flavors that come to mind when you think of shrimp gratin, but they add tartness and sweetness that complement the shrimps nicely.
Time: about 45 minutes
1 hokkaido squash, peeled, seeded cubed
3 tart apples, thinly sliced
1 lb shrimp, (fresh or thawed) uncooked, shells removed
1 cup vegetable broth
4 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
juice of 1 fresh lemon
Italian parsley to taste, chopped
oven safe casserole dish
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Marinade shrimp in lemon juice.
- In a large skillet bring an inch of water to boil and simmer hokkaido squash cubes about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Mix hokkaido squash, apples and vegetable broth and transfer to casserole dish. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In preheated oven bake for 15 minutes.
- Layer the shrimp on squash apple mixture and top with parmesan cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes or until shrimp are cooked.
- Remove from oven, top with Italian parsley and serve.